New Zealand A level series

New Zealand A have completed a convincing 65 run win over India A in the third and final One-Day match at Bert Sutcliffe Oval in Lincoln.

The victory means the series is drawn one-all, with India having claimed the first match and the second game being tied.

Chasing 229 for victory, India were unable to make the most of a solid start and were eventually dismissed for 163 after 42.1 overs.

The visitors looked to have the upper hand 12 overs into the innings at 46 without loss, before captain Abhinav Mukund was dismissed for 18 by Neil Wagner.

Opener Unmukt Chand continued to make progress for his side and began to take the game to New Zealand when he dispatched Neil Wagner for six with a vicious pull-shot. However this was as good as it got for India who began to lose wickets frequently.

Andrew Ellis knocked over wicket keeper Naman Ojha for one, before Trent Boult made the big break through when he bowled Chand on 46. 

Ashok Menaria (30) put up some resistance with a couple of big sixes, but was undone when he feathered one to De Boorder off Tarun Nethula’s bowling.

Neil Wagner cleaned up the tail quickly for New Zealand and secured the emphatic victory with 7.5 overs remaining. Number seven batsman Jalaj Saxena was left stranded for India with an unbeaten 26. 

Wagner was chief wicket taker, collecting four wickets in his 9.4 overs for 36. Tarun Nethula also had an impact with figures of three for 46 from ten overs.
Earlier, the New Zealand side had opted to bat having won the toss, but once again struggled against India’s opening bowling pair of Vinay Kumar and Jaydev Unadkat.

It took New Zealand 14.4 overs to reach 50 and they lost George Worker leg-before-wicket for one in the process.

Tom Latham went not long after for 30, to see Daniel Flynn and Neil Broom come together at the crease. The duo put on 64 for the third wicket, with Flynn bringing up his half century before falling for 54 in the 30th over.

Broom soon brought up his 50 too, but also failed to convert it into triple digits when he was caught for 51 by Rahul Sharma off the bowling of Vinay Kumar.

With 4.5 overs remaining New Zealand was 200 for five, but struggled to form partnerships at the end of the innings. Derek de Boorder once again contributed, becoming the third player in the match to reach the half century mark.

Nethula showed some innovation in the final balls with a ramp shot over the keeper for four, to carry New Zealand to an overall total of 228 for eight at the end of 50 overs.

Kumar caused the most problems for the home side and finished with figures of three for 36 from ten overs. Shami Ahmed was also effective, collecting two wickets in his ten overs for 39. 

The two teams next meet for the first Four-Day match on Wednesday September 26.

With Thanks To

Sky Sport Pitch ANZ Ford Mediaworks Dulux KFC
Accor Hotels CCC Dream11 Dynasty Gillette GJ Gardner Hertz Les Mills Export Powerade TAB