Pumped after their Burger King Super Smash success, Northern Districts kept up their smashing form as The Ford Trophy one-day battles resumed.
And, it was no ordinary win — the side launching a remarkable recovery from 41 for four to ultimately down the Wellington Firebirds by four wickets in a big-scoring thriller at the Basin.
The Firebirds had been sent in, but built a solid 320 for nine — underpinned by 93 from wicketkeeper Devon Conway who narrowly missed a maiden Firebirds ton in just his fourth Ford Trophy match for the side, to add to his collection from South Africa.
Michael Bracewell also chimed in with a half century, as did Logan van Beek with Stephen Murdoch narrowly missing one of his own.
ND’s reply had got off to a far from promising start with both openers, Tim Seifert and BJ Watling, dismissed for no score inside the first seven balls of the chase.
But as we well know, anything can happen in cricket and Daryl Mitchell happened to be in the mood for a head-turning career best unbeaten 126 off 101 balls.
Combining brilliantly with captain Dean Brownlie (97, above), the pair belted an ND record of 155 runs for the fifth wicket (previous fifth wicket record: 137, by legends Dion Nash and Grant Bradburn against the Otago Volts at Taupo’s Owen Delaney Park in 1997/98), followed by a 119-run stand for the sixth between Mitchell and Scott Kuggeleijn.
Mitchell’s presence ensured ND powered through to victory with two and a half overs to spare, 644 runs scored in a single day on the Basin Reserve as the winning boundary raced to the fence.
The smashing win elevated ND to second on the table, with their big white ball rivals Stags just two points in front. ND now heads to Whangarei where they will host the Auckland Aces this Wednesday from 11am.
• Michael Bracewell on 18 reached 2000 List A runs
• Dean Brownlie and Daryl Mitchell record List A 5th wicket partnership for Northern Districts v Wellington Firebirds. Previous best 96 by Matthew Hart and Joey Yovich at the Basin Reserve Wellington, 2004/05
• Dean Brownlie and Daryl Mitchell record List A 5th wicket partnership for Northern Districts v all teams
• Daryl Mitchell 3rd List A Century
• Daryl Mitchell and Scott Kuggeleijn record List A 6th wicket partnership for Northern Districts v Wellington Firebirds. Previous best 105* by James Marshall and Corey Anderson at the Basin Reserve, Wellington, 2011/12