This theme, Cricket Smart – Hit it for six!, has a focus on developing an understanding of the game of cricket, how it is played, the language and movements of cricket, the technology used, and the progression of personal cricket skills. Through this theme students can gain insight into:
- fundamental skills of cricket and how to develop and enhance them
- areas of well-being/hauora that can be developed through cricket – physical (movement, coordination), mental (strategy, perseverance), spiritual (calmness, focus), social (team work, relationships, fair play), and emotional (resilience)
- how values are incorporated through play, kotahitanga, getting along together, supporting each other, and working in groups
- forging links to their cricket community
- technology used in cricket to enhance the game and support players, coaches, and teams
- using data to analyse cricket games and player performance
- ways to keep safe when playing cricket, for example, sunsmart awareness.